Sunday, June 12, 2011

My Questions Answered!

At the beginning of the semester we were prompted to ask ten questions about the environment when we did our first neighborhood walk about. I have answered five of the questions below. I found the answers to these questions by talking to people who are employed at the front office of the complex, as well as the maintenance staff that is employed by the community. 
1.       Is there a recycling center in the community? (The area was COVERED in bottles and cans - I'm wondering if there is somewhere that all of those materials can be recycled).
a.       There is not specific recycling area in the community that I am living in. Although, the people at the front desk who were in charge of the maintenance staff were trying to get a recycling center put in the community within the next year. If you want to recycle, you will have to bring your recycled goods to a local recycling facility.
2.       . What measures are being taken by the apartment complex to preserve the environment?
a.       The community I am living with has installed underground sprinklers to try and keep the soil in the wooded areas as wet as it needs to be, especially during the summer months. The community also has made sure to incorporate walking trails to try and keep people out of the woods, and to prevent them from damaging the plants and disturbing the animals.
3.       Are there any walking trails in the complex?
a.       Yes, there are walking trails throughout the complex. The trails have sturdy enough ground that (as long as it did not just rain), you can even ride your bike on them. The walking trails are set up to prevent people from harming the environment or the animals that live in it.
4.       Are there mosquitoes outside at night?
a.       Yes, there are mosquitoes out at night. Especially in the area I live in, because I am living directly on the woods. Once dusk hits, the mosquitoes are out like crazy. What is crazy to me, is that I have a  friend that lives pretty close to me in the same complex but has NEVER had a mosquito problem at her apartment. Granted she is not on the woods like I am, but she is still not very far from the woods. I found this to be very interesting.

5.       Where does the rainwater go when it begins to flood?
a.       There is no drainage system in the complex, therefore when there is a surplus of rain, it just floods the parking lot and low-level areas. (I actually found this out right after I talked to maintenance about the drainage systems…there was a huge rainstorm and I was unable to walk in the parking lot for a few hours). 

No comments:

Post a Comment