Monday, June 13, 2011

Reading #11 - Endgame, Michael Grunwald

I really learned a lot from this article as soon as it started. I was born in 1992, therefore I was very young when the debate about the Homestead Airport first began. I am familiar with both Clinton and Gore, but not with this debate. I grew up in St. Lucie County, so I wasn’t too far from where all of this was happening, and my dad worked in Homestead around the time that all of this was going on, so I am very surprised I don’t know anything about this issue.

I was unaware of how large scale the debate of the everglades was. I am not a big politics person, nor am I a history buff so I really had no clue that the “fate of the everglades” was at one point in the hands of the House of Representatives. Call me naive, but I just assumed that because the everglades are in Florida, that the national government really didn’t pay too much attention to it because it was under the control of the state government rather than on a national level.

I (of course) knew that there was a huge debate for presidency in the Bush-Gore-Nader election between Bush and Gore. I remember that just like it was yesterday. I never really knew why there was such controversy of it, and I don’t know that I truly understand the whole thing. But in reading this article, I learned that the everglades/Homestead airport debate most likely influenced the presidential election.
I CANNOT BELIEVE I AM SO UNINFORMED ABOUT THE STATE I HAVE LIVED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment